It’s done!

Hello all,

it is finally done and I have already spent several days snuggling up under it to finish my thesis and cure my little ailments that came up due to the sudden decrease of stress - the two reasons I haven't been around as much as I would have liked to :-/

But back to the fun stuff:


I promised a longer post about this one, and I'm more than happy to deliver. I'll share the process of making the quilt with you, the lessons learned and then have some more pics of the finished quilt πŸ™‚

So it all started in November 2015, after I had done some HST place mats for my mom, that I thought "this design would look good in rainbow colors as a quilt". So I raided my tiny stash and started cutting squares.


Not only was I missing several colorsΒ  - I had only about 150 of the necessary 552 squares :-/ With additional help from friends, who were so kind to help me out with their stash, plus some additional fabrics bought (the purplish and pink fabrics weren't really in anyone's stash) I ended up with a rainbow of squares.


From there I went on to make a whole bunch of HSTs and always laid them out row wise to find my preferred arrangement.

hsts auslegen

Even though I took a lot of care with the layout, somehow the same fabric ended up beside itself three times - it's not really noticeable, but you know....I know πŸ˜‰ Some months ago, I was finally done piecing the top and basted it on the terrace of friends of mine.2016_08_27_zickzack_arnolds_scaledQuilting gave me some troubles, because it's quite a large project...quiltenBut after having chosen not to go with the organic lines, but instead with a curvy stitch from my machine, it went on easier. When the quilting was all done, I was so excited to get it finished, that I continued sewing late into the night. Luckily I had found some fitting binding tape in gray with white dots on the market shortly before finishing, so I didn't have to cut and press the binding myself <whew>

binding decke_mit_backing

And then it was finally done and ready to snuggle into πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

decke_komplett decke_gefaltet

Now to the lessons learned throughout this project:

  • cut the HSTs to size after piecing them (yes, I was very naive....)
  • don't serge
    - I serged all allowances, after piecing the HSTs and rows, thus I couldn't press the seams open and got a whole bunch of bulk
  • press, don't iron and don't use steam
  • use high quality thread
    - this I especially noticed when quilting. The lower quality threads ripped or stitches were left out.... until I got that figured out, it took hours and I thought my machine was broken :-/
  • use sharp needles
  • write down all settings
    especially with a long-term project like this, write down:

    • stitch length
    • needle size
    • needle offset
  • trust your intuition when you think that the machine makes different sounds or runs differently than normal. By the end of the project I now know every sound my machine should make - and which it shouldn't!
  • Clean the machine on a regular basis - if you think you're machine might need a clean - it's probably already overdue πŸ˜‰
  • use more pins for basting
  • use same quality faabrics
    I have a bunch of different quality fabrics in this quilt - which doesn't make life easier
  • use sharp blades on the rotary cutter - and they're dull much faster than you think...

2016-button-250-bestI think I learned a lot more than that, but this is what I wrote down along the way.... so with the finish of this quilt, I can check off one of my 2016 FAL Q4 goals πŸ™‚

Now I'll be off, visiting all the wonderful blogs I haven't been able to read (or comment - shame on me) in the last weeks...

Hope you're having a nice sewy fall so far πŸ™‚


One thought on “It’s done!

  1. Yvonne @Quilting Jetgirl

    Those are all great tips to share, Vanni! I still don't change out my rotary blade as often as I should - it make such a difference and I know better. There is nothing like a big project to help you get to know your machine better, and remembering to write down and check settings is a constant struggle for me as well. It turned out beautifully and I love that binding dot print!


I'd love to read from you - so comment away :-) I'll reply via e-mail (or here if you don't leave your address)